Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moldy Garlic

Posted by tn_veggie_gardner 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 22, 10 at 13:51

I finally received my last 2 items from my Jung seed order that I placed about 2 months ago. One of them is some California White Garlic. One of the cloves has mold more than halfway through it. The other two, it seems to be on the surface, only slightly extending into the clove itself. Would it be safe, for these 2, to pick them apart & use the non-moldy pieces? Please let me know.

Thanks - Steve

P.S. - Obviously, I called Jung right away & they are sending me replacements.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moldy Garlic

Steve - Sent you and email via GW a few days ago. You may not get them...I had trouble with my server deleting GW emails before they arrived last year and had to change my server settings. But send me an email and I'll send what I wrote.

Toni

o

This is a really good question, does anyone have an answer?

Essentially: is it safe to plant moldy garlic/onion bulbs?

o

I have never found it to be a problem with production. It's mostly cosmetic. Most onions also develop this same type of mold after being in storage for a while. No harm again--just wash it off before eating.

Brook

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here