Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tn_veggie_gardner

California White Garlic Grow Time

tn_veggie_gardner
14 years ago

I know that some varieties of garlic take longer to mature/be harvestable than others (for instance, Elephant Garlic). I received my resend of 3 California White Garlic cloves today (first set were moldy throughout & unusable). These cloves look huge! They are about the size of my fist. If I plant them now can I harvest in August like some of my softneck types or is this one like Elephant Garlic & will take longer? Please let me know. =)

Thanks - Steve

Comments (13)

• bloosquall
    14 years ago

Steve, plant them now and you'll be harvesting the spring planted garlic at the normal time. This is from my experience planting Nootka Rose in March last year.

-bloo

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

In my zone (8) and higher, spring planting garlics will not produce
    decent bulbs, because it sometime gets into 90s in June.
    When it get that hot, the tops will die. That is why we plant them in fall and harvest in June.
    But in cooler zones they may have time to grow bulbs.

• warren4321
    14 years ago

California White may not grow too well in TN, due to the different climate. Rocamboles and Porcelains however, are said to grow well in that region.

• tn_veggie_gardner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ok, thanks. Any tips to help the California White along in my area? What are the reasons for it probably not growing well here?

- Steve

• kristincarol
    14 years ago

Your climate is not the one these garlics prefer.

• tn_veggie_gardner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yea, I kinda got that from the previous post, but i'm growing it. So, any help/hints would be appreciated. It has started germinating/sprouting. I saw the first one about to pop through the potting mix yesterday. =)

• kristincarol
    14 years ago

There is a wealth of information in the posts here. I suggest you browse the older posts. You will get all the info you need.

• tn_veggie_gardner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yea...research always gets me through in the end, but the replies here have me worrying a bit about killing it in this zone, hence request for ellaboration. =)

• kristincarol
    14 years ago

Not like it is against the law to kill a plant, eh? Don't worry so much.

• tn_veggie_gardner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I won't, because It is growing perfectly fine so far. =) The zone critics don't know my ultimate powers of zone stretching...lol. I can grow almost anything here.

• tn_veggie_gardner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Looks fine to me so far...don't see what the big deal is...lol. =)

{{gwi:360876}}

- Steve

• namfon
    13 years ago

It would be interesting for you to post your results later in the summer when you harvest. From my experience garlic grown in pots usually forms 'rounds'

• cyrus_gardner
    13 years ago

Sure you can grow them as green garlics, at this time in your zone.
    You can use greens in cooking too. But will they bulb? that is the question and
    you will find the answer in couple of months from now. Your venture may prove to be a valuable experiment.

As I said before, I planted mine last October/November.Their tops were about a foot tall when the winter arrived.
    Then they resumed growing tops and then bulbs in early spring. I expect to harvest early June.
    Thats almost 7 months.