Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cold snap/snow...will it effect garlic?

Posted by swaray WI (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 25, 11 at 14:59

Hi everyone,

Last week I pulled off the straw/chopped leaf mulch I covered my 200 planted garlic cloves with over the winter (inspired by the great weather). Happily, they were starting to grow nicely and all was well. This week in Wisconsin (ugh!) we've gotten sleet, ice, and now snow. Its also getting into the teens at night. Should I re-mulch it (the leaves/straw are in piles next to the garlic bed) or cross my fingers until it warms up again next week. I know garlic are hardy, but are they THIS hardy?

Thanks,
Jessica

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cold snap/snow...will it effect garlic?

Yes, they are. Worry not.

o

The purpose of winter mulching is NOT to protect from cold but prevent from sudden temperature swings.
Here, in zone 8 GA, we have moderately mild winters. Our coldest night are in mid teens. I have never mulched my garlics in the past three year. They stay green and live.

o

Yey! Good news. Thanks all :)

o

FWIW, after few weeks of spring-like weather we had a week long cold spell - 20s at night and frost every day. My onions and garlic were mulched over the winter with leaves but after a while most of them got blown away. They made it thru the cold spell without any special care or protection and look fine now. Lots of long deep green tops. I just fertilized them with blood meal

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here