Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susaneden_gw

just got garlic I ordered today?!?

susaneden
15 years ago

Ordered it last August and forgot about it. It arrived today. It is early spring here (got a light snow last night). Can I plant it now?

Would faking it out by putting it in the freezer fro a day help?

Thanks all for your help!

Comments (9)

• michaelc0
    15 years ago

As I understand it, it takes 6-8 weeks at 40 degrees or lower to get most types of garlic to form a bulb when it grows. If not, you just get greens (kind of like a leek.) What kind of garlic is it and where did you but it. Did you ask for it to be delivered at this time?

• susaneden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Michael--I ordered it from Gurney's :(

Certainly did NOT ask them to deliver it in the spring. Forgot I ordered it late last summer until I found it in my mailbox today.

It is walla walla garlic. It will probably get the 6 weeks of low temps here, being Buffalo, so maybe it will work. If no bulbing this year, can I leave it in to overwinter through next winter for heads next summer?

• michaelc0
    15 years ago

I don't know about leaving it in the ground. I know you can't here in Florida. It would just rot during the rainy season.

Since it is still cold there, it may be fine, but with smaller cloves due to a shorter growing season than fall planted garlic. At least put it in the refrigerator until you can get it planted.

• susaneden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It's in the ground now--planted today (thank heaven for raised beds!)

I am going to call Gurney's and complain tomorrow.

• bloosquall
    15 years ago

Susan,

You're way nicer than me. I would have sent it back. those bulbs you got are getting old and am surprised they're much good. Garlic native to the Walla Walla valley is an artichoke variety. I have some of that in the ground this year. I live 18 miles outside of Walla Walla.

It'll probably still grow ...garlic is tough.

• TJG911
    15 years ago

if you ordered it in august and just got it now i'd NEVER order anything from that place again. you are in buffalo ny? garlic is planted in the fall not now. my garlic is about 1" to 3" tall already. the point of planting in fall is so it grows as soon as the ground thaws and even in buffalo i am sure your ground is thawed by now. add to that they are VERY old, i'm surprised they are not sprouting or dried up! if you plant it now you may get bulbs but they will be very small say 1" vs 3" or 1/2" vs 2". i'd call them and complain, they should have sent you the garlic by 10/1/2008 so you could have planted from 10/12 to 11/12, i'd ask for my money back and tell them their lousy service cost them any future orders.

tom

• susaneden
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey, Tom--I understand what you mean--my other garlic is already up quite a bit and I odered it in late summer to plant in Sep/Oct--I am so upset. the garlic is fresh, and they say they "always" ship out their orders in the spring. Unbelievable.

• jonas302
    14 years ago

I ordered walla walla from them last september it was in ground last fall and growing now

• susaneden
    Original Author
    14 years ago

very strange--wonder why they sent yours in fall and mine in spring?

Sponsored