Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
trimming leaves of leeks

Posted by woohooman San Diego CA 10a (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 17, 13 at 15:50

I'm about ready to add some soil to my leeks bed. Should I trim the leaves first Or just leave them flopping? They're about 18" long right now. If so, how short should I cut?

Thanks

Kevin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: trimming leaves of leeks

I'm not sure what you are asking, or what you're planning to do. Are you hilling soil around the base of the plants to blanch the shanks? If so, you need all those wrapper leaves intact, to help keep out soil.

Are the leeks 18 inches tall? If so they are approaching an intense growth period and need moisture more than trimming. If the leaves are 18 inches long, you should start pulling leeks and eating them. Spring-grown leeks don't hold like they do in the fall.

o

Yes. Hilling up planatus. They're still away off from harvest. I was just wondering if trimming the leaves some to have shorter but more upright leaves will help growth at all and make hilling up a bit easier.

Kevin

o

I'm with Planatus, don't cut any leaves. They are there for a reason, photosynthesis.

When were these leeks planted that they are 18" tall now?
From seed or start?

o

Madroneb: They were started in a seed tray around November, then transplanted a couple months ago.

Ok.. so, no trimming.

Thanks

Kevin

o

Exciting. I never heard of seeding leeks at that timing, but I never lived in So Cal.

I look forward to updates.

-Mark

This post was edited by madroneb on Tue, Mar 19, 13 at 14:53

o

I don't hill mine up because the leeks stay much cleaner if allowed to grow as they will. In my climate, summer leeks have to come in early anyway. If left in the ground too long will rupture out the sides as they try to divide.

o

The white part of the leek is the prized part and if you don't hill you just get the tough green leaves and not enough usable material for your money, imho, of course.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here