Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what is difference between wild garlic onion leek

Posted by jeanwedding 6 ky (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 30, 13 at 16:01

how do we tell the difference? in own yard no pesticides used . least not in the last year... just in the lawn .... these are grown on this old farm type lot here....
Read there are some looks alike too>>> So how do we tell the differences?????
Thanks all
Jean

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what is difference between wild garlic onion leek

When it comes to feral/naturalized examples of the cultivated varieties, onions will always have round hollow leaves, while garlic and leeks have flat leaves with a crease down the center (sort of like a "V" in cross section). Garlic and perennial leeks (including elephant garlic) can be confusing. The best way is to look at the mature bulbs in the summer. Leeks will usually have little offsets ("corms") around the base of the bulb that are on thin stalks and separate easily. Garlic will not.

When it comes to variously named wild species of garlic/leeks/onions, that's a whole other question.

Some pictures might help.

o
RE: what is difference between wild garlic onion leek

The weedy wild garlic is thinner and darker green than cultivated garlc, with a very long shank that leads 6-8 inches down to a half-inch diameter bulb, often surrounded by hard little pointed corms. It takes me about five years to get all of it out of a new bed.

I have some hardneck garlic gone wild, too, in an uncultivated area where I dump shrivelled bulbs. It comes up in clumps with flat, very dark green leaves. Right now it's about 8 inches tall. This time of year I dig them and use them like scallions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here