Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iris_gal

noid Allium is a thug

iris_gal
10 years ago

Does anyone know this allium's name. Or maybe it's not an allium?

Comments (11)

• iris_gal
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It is just beginning to bloom.

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    10 years ago

Looks like an Allium... and a prolific multiplier too, I can see why you call it a garden "thug". Not sure yet about species, I'll keep looking into it if no one else responds.

• iris_gal
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Zeed.

• jaceysgranny
    10 years ago

May be albidum ssp caucasicum.

• iris_gal
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks fo the suggestion Jaceysgranny.
    Allium albidum ssp caucasicum .... mat-forming onion. The small white flowers in July and August.

So I don't think it's that one. As I've been searching there seems to be no data on height. Was able to rule out some as there is not an onion or garlic aroma.

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    10 years ago

It almost looks like the photo of the bulb & the photo of the flowers are of two different plants. How tall are those plants when in bloom?

Don't think it is Allium albidum ssp caucasicum., that is listed as only 6" tall.

My first though was garlic chives (A. tuberosum), which reaches about 12" in height... but I would expect a garlic smell when the leaves are crushed, and the leaves would be smaller than the top photo.

A. douglasii is another possibility, it is also about 12" tall & is native to the West Coast (although its range is listed as north of California).

You can find photos of a great many Alliums in the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plants for a Future / Alliums

• iris_gal
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'll check out your link Zeedman. The height is under 12 inches as the foliage arches over. The bloom stem maybe 20 inches. Baby ones have thin leaves and no bloom stem, and fewer 'cormlets'. .I counted flower buds today and between 12-15 on each cluster.

I have had garlic chives and Society Garlic so familiar with the odor off them when bruised. Even allowing for allergies I am getting no scent from these. Not even on my hands after 2 hours of work.

• planatus
    10 years ago

Look at google images for Allium neapolitanum, also referred to as Nothoscordum inodorum in the past. See if there is a match on the closeups of the flower.

I like the name daffodil garlic.

• iris_gal
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have Allium neapolitanum (cowanii) and love it. Starting to bloom now. So clean and crisp looking. But this one is rather 'tissue paper-looking'.

• planatus
    10 years ago

I would take it to a locally-owned garden center and ask them what it is. Faster than going through the extension service, who probably will know it, too. It looks invasive, no?

• OldDutch (Zone 4 MN)
    9 years ago

White Brodiaea?

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES