Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Uncovered my Garlic sunday

Posted by baygrower 7 maryland (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 9, 09 at 17:53

Took the straw off my garlic and had 1 inch shoots.I planted later this year, NOV.26 and i had no shoots before covering for winter.Just glad they all lived as i was advised on this forum i would be ok.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Uncovered my Garlic sunday

I planted mine November 14th and they are up as well, except I don't remove the hay mulch. I just leave it in place to prevent weeds and and they grow right through it. I turn the hay under after harvest.

TomNJ

o
RE: Uncovered my Garlic sunday

baygrower, you need to remove all the mulch but leave a good 1" to suppress weeds. i put down 1-2" of salt marsh hay (or is it straw?) that i got for free and then put 5-6" of shredded leaves. it's all packed down to maybe 3-4" and i pulled off the top 1" and i'm going to leave the rest. the flakey texture of shredded leaves is so fine that the garlic easily grows thru it.

tom

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here