Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First time growing Green onions :question

Posted by TomatoDog 11 Fort lauderdale (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 21, 13 at 17:55

I bought some onion sets and planted them they gro well and I love the green onion tops for my baked potatoes. I planted so many though that there are too many to eat, can I make them grow into larger onions by folding over the tops? Or do I need another variety or am I supposed to do something with tops of all varieties?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First time growing Green onions :question

If you bought sets they are probably a bulbing variety of onion. You would need to thin them and let them form bulbs. But they might not do so at your latitude, especially if they are a "long-day" variety.

o

If the onions are short-day onions (likely if they are sold in FL) and if you thin them to at least 3 inches apart, they may bulb for you. That's what they are supposed to do. You don't need to do anything to the tops. When the onions are finished growing, the tops will fall over.

o

Thanks guys, I will thin and wait.

o

If they are allium cepa, they may bulb. But mostly what are sold as green onions in supermarkets (aka allium fistulosum, Japanese bunching onions, negi or welsh onions) are bunching onions, and will not bulb or only very slightly. If they are allium fistulosum, they can be grown as cut & come again perennials.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_bunching_onion

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here