Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ibarok

Nube from Arkansas

ibarok
11 years ago

Hello garlic lovers! I'm a new member from SE Arkansas and this is my 2nd year planting garlic. I just wanna share some pictures of my garlic garden.
This is Thai fire garlic, supposed to be a turban var. garlic planted last Sept 15,2012

Comments (17)

• ibarok
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thai fire garlic

• ibarok
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And this is a comparison between Ontario Purple Trillium(taller) and Carphatian (smaller). Both are rocamboles. Planted Sept 15, 2012.

• planatus
    11 years ago

Ah, I remember when I used to keep the varieties separate and my spring beds looked uniform like yours. Now I can tell the softnecks from the hardnecks, and a couple of rocambole varieties are recognizable, but several mid-size rocamboles have melded into a homie strain.

• Mark
    11 years ago

Thanks for sharing. Those are some great pictures of really nice looking garlic plants.
    Most people don't notice the variations in appearance amongst the different types. Deep greens, blues, wide, frilly leaves, thin dense ones......I have to try hard to limit myself to about 5-6 varieties.
    I'll try to remember to take a photo of my Shandung garlic next time I go out to that field. It's so delicate compared to german white. It looks a lot like the Thai fire garlic.
    Then there's the elephant garlic which looks like a mac truck!

Planatus, do you have any issues with harvest dates, or are all your varieties close enough to not need separate digging?

-Mark

• kristincarol
    11 years ago

Since garlic matures at different times I do not see how one could properly finish them off if all types were planted willy-nilly in the garden. My softnecks are ready at least 4 if not 6 weeks before most of the hardnecks. Telling them apart is not the problem, growing the to be the best they can be is the challenge.

• ibarok
    Original Author
    11 years ago

@Planatus: I have just discovered the joy of planting garlic :) I hope to be as organized as I can throughout my whole garlic planting career, hahaha! I'm planning to sell them eventually and garlic might lose some of its monetary value if I sell them without its 'name' :(
    @madroneb: You're welcome! You are right, before I started planting garlic, I thought garlic is just garlic. I can now see the variations in appearance among different cultivars!
    @still_kris: Different maturity times definitely is a big reason to plant them according to variety.

This post was edited by iBarok on Sun, Mar 24, 13 at 19:28

• ibarok
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Music garlic planted 9/15/2012
    Photo taken 3/24/2013
    Long dark green leaves!

• ibarok
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Spanish Roja garlic planted 9/15/2012
    Photo taken 3/24/2013
    Wide leaves with prominent grooves.

• ibarok
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Krasnodar Red garlic planted 9/15/2012
    Photo taken 3/24/2013
    Slender dark green leaves.

• planatus
    11 years ago

Certainly the softnecks - Blossom turban and Asian Tempest - go in a separate bed because they come up in the fall and need deep mulching, and they mature earlier than the hardnecks, too.

It's the rocamboles that are hopelessly mixed up. After six years, Music is still easy to ID by her size, ditto for a little Korean Red roca I picked up in Ohio, but it's my mid-size rocamboles that have melded into one. I added an Appalachian strain three years ago, and it's so well adapted that I think I have selected way fewer Spanish Roja and German Purple Stripes for replanting.

• kristincarol
    11 years ago

Music is a porcelain variety, looks like you are thinking it is a rocambole.

Korean Red is far from little if given a chance. The ones I started with were small, but after several years I have quite large ones.

Tried Spanish Roja, but it was disappointingly small after my first attempt and l had to make a decision due to space so I junked it.

• gemini_jim
    11 years ago

Wow, nice pics, and your garlic is at least a month ahead of mine. I planted mine in late October - early November. This year I'm going to try to get an earlier start. Some of the varieties have just started sprouting: Native Creole and Silverwhite Silverskin.

Most my garlic is in one bed, but I intentionally put the latest varieties in the center.

• planatus
    11 years ago

There are multiple strains of Korean Red, some small and some not. The strain I have is the smallest hardneck in my collection, and I grow more of it every year because it keeps better than any other variety I've grown.

• Mark
    11 years ago

I got some weeding in today and had a chance to look closer at the alliums.
    Similar to Jim's, my garlic is also about a months behind the OP's. Here are just a few of the varieties.

Hoeing the Khabar:
    {{gwi:361004}}
    Shandung, light green / Northern White, dark green
    {{gwi:361005}}
    Elephant
    {{gwi:361006}}

• ibarok
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Very nice pictures madroneb. Do you sell your garlic?

• Mark
    11 years ago

There are quite a few of us market gardeners / small scale farmers that frequent these forums.

I sell garlic (and more) for eating at my local markets and seed garlic online. Many folks here at gardenweb buy seed garlic from me.

-Mark

• ibarok
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Garlic scapes are out! My Ontario purple trillium, Thai fire, Pskem garlic's scapes are out already. A few more weeks and it's harvest time! Can't wait!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!