Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting Out Transplants.......

Posted by cugal 5b-6a NE Ks (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 31, 14 at 18:01

The time here in NE Kansas is nigh for planting out onion transplants............ Actually the whole month of April will work.......

My question(s): Are these transplants big enough to plant? They were sown in early January under lights with heat mats & have since been hardened off.......

Secondly, how many ppm of N should these transplants be getting while in their current stage of growth?

Pic was taken 2 weeks ago.........

photo 006_zpsb4f4bbb5.jpg

Sorry for the dupe pic............ Gremlins......

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting Out Transplants.......

I'm in Nebraska, zone 4/5. I couldn't put any onions out yet because of the chance of freezing. If the green stems froze it would set them back and that would hurt the crop.
You said something about hardening them off. As long as they won't freeze it's probably fine. Even hardened plants can freeze, though.
What beautiful plants. Great job with them! What do you make with them? Do you make a lot of salsa or these are just onions for the entire fall/winter/spring?
Heidi in Nebraska

o
RE: Planting Out Transplants.......

• Posted by cugal 5b-6a NE Ks (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 9, 14 at 20:02

Thanks Heidi! This is my third year growing transplants, soooo, I've a great deal to learn.......

Our LFD is around May 5Th (historically) & with our current wild weather, who knows? Not uncommon to see snow in NE Kansas in April & even May. We had snow last May! I think I'll wait a bit, even though our extension calender says to plant in the first three weeks of April........

We do indeed make lots of salsa, but my main focus is having storage onions for as long as possible....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here