Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Last years garlic?

Posted by shouldbesad Wa (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 19, 08 at 18:21

I planted garlic last year for the first time and it didn't do very well. The cloves really didn't form bulbs and the leaves did ok for awhile then bent over and died. So, now this year I have a huge crop of garlic sprouting from the last year stuff that, I thought, died. It looks like a bunch of cloves growing together in clumps as each clove has a small leaf. Do I pull these up, separate, and replant? Or is this the way they are supposed to be?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Last years garlic?

When did you plant that first garlic? If spring, it wouldn't have had time to produce bulbs. Generally one plants the mature cloves in the fall and lets them overwinter. Garlic ends its season somewhere in mid- to late-summer at which time it bends over and dies. The cloves are pulled out to dry, eat, and plant again.

There's no harm in letting the babies grow, but they'd need some room and may not develop cloves either. Here's the good news. You can separate some and eat the bulbs and leaves right now as a wonderful fresh green - delicious! And if those that remain in the ground don't make cloves, just eat it them and plant a new batch in the fall. Garlic is good!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here