Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goddessemer6

Planting Garlic

goddessemer6
18 years ago

When is the right time of the year to plant garlic for zone 9? I had a bunch of store bought garlic in my fridge and since I was planting most of my seeds this past weekend I decided to throw what I had in the soil. I know it's probably not the right time of the year to be planting garlic as they'll probably be small bulbs but I figured the garlic in the ground was better than them rotting in the fridge. I'm just not sure what to expect...any thoughts appreciated! = )

~Rose

Comments (14)

• goddessemer6
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hmm, well by the lack of any responses to the allium forum in general I'm gonna assume this just isn't allium season! LOL

~Rose

• computergardener
    18 years ago

Right time of the year or not, I have heard store bought garlic is spray with a sprout inhibitor so I don't think yours will sprout unless it was organic garlic.

Generally, Garlic is planted in the fall and harvested June. This is my second year growing it and I loved having fresh garlic until about a month ago. My next goal is to learn how to cure it so I can go a whole year on my crop.

I bought my first batch from garlicstore.com and was very happy. This year, I planted the largest cloves and did not need to buy any.

Good luck --

• goddessemer6
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Someone kindly emailed me seperately and informed me that garlic could be planted in the spring time for my zone. And so far eight of them have sprouted! I was so impressed I went back to the store and bought a whole bulb of organic elephant garlic too! (it's my hubby's favorite)This is exciting! = )

~Rose

• coho
    18 years ago

Next fall, plan on planting sometime between Oct 15 and Nov 15, weather permitting. Gives the roots time to get well established prior to colder weather. I'm guessing around June 1st to 15th, you will harvest.
    When the 1st leaf starts to brown, stop watering. When half are brown and dry, dig. Hang in a shaded, dry place for about two weeks to cure. Cut tops off 1" from bulb. Roots about 1/2" long. Enjoy.
    I suspect you will want more Elephants to plant too. From the grocery will be just fine. For any other, you need to buy, beg or trade for some hard neck garlic. It is hard to believe it is so much better than the California White you find at the grocery. Often available at local Farmer's Markets.

• goddessemer6
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Great advice, thank you coho! I can't believe how expensive the elephant garlic was, $2.50 for one bulb with five cloves!!! Some one else was explaining on another thread that softneck is the only type that is sold in stores. I've been looking through SSE catalog and I can't wait to order some yummy colorful hardneck garlic at the end of summer!

~Rose

• pony65
    18 years ago

I just came inside after pulling the mulch from my garlic. Oh, I am just so excited!! This is my second year of garlic success, following two years that were mediocre at best.

This weekend, I'll be putting the onion sets in the ground.

FINALLY! Spring!! :)

Pony!

• goddessemer6
    Original Author
    18 years ago

WooHoo! The elephant garlic I planted has started to come up! I was a tad worried cause the regular garlic popped up almost immediatley it seemed! Can't wait to harvest! LOL

~Rose

• coho
    18 years ago

Elephant is slower to sprout than many others. Gophers seem to like it better also.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    18 years ago

Hardneck garlic makes a curly scape that should be cut off in the spring. If you do this as soon as it appears and is still tender, it can be used in stirfries, or to make a type of minced garlic. Just put it in a food processor, mix with a very small amount of olive oil and pack into small plastic containers--no larger than 3/4 cup. You can freeze extras and it keeps for months in the fridge.

• garliclady
    18 years ago

Elephant garlic will produce flowers also. You will need to remove them also. If your elephant garlic is spring planted you may not get flower stalks. This means you will get one soild instead of indivdual cloves. These soilds can be used for eating or planting for next year. Even fall planted will always have some solids but spring planted will produce more. It is ok some our biggest elephants were produced by a big solid planted in the fall. so save some of those solids for planting if you get any.

• goddessemer6
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Wow thanks! I didn't know there was so much to alliums and I know this is probably only the tip of the iceburg. I didn't even bother to research elephant garlic, shame on me, but you can bet I'll be surfing the web for more info. Anyone have any favorite sites for information on alliums or for ordering hardneck garlic from? Thanks all!

~Rose

• garliclady
    18 years ago

BTW your store bought garlic won't produce flower stalks they are usually softneck types. If you want more info about planting garlic you can email me and I can send you some info
    the garlic lady

• username_5
    18 years ago

Another bit of trivia, elephant garlic isn't garlic, but a member of the leek family.

Is this important? Well, about as important as understanding tomatos are fruits and not vegetables ;-)

If it looks like a garlic and smells like a garlic, it is a garlic, right?

• jazzdj50
    17 years ago

I planted my garlic in late November. I just pulled one and was disappointed w/ the small size. Did I plant too late or is the soil too weak. If I fertilize what should i use?

Sponsored