Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Allium flower bulb questions

Posted by peacekneads 8b Sequim (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 5, 10 at 18:24

I've never planted bulbs before (newbie!) and had some questions about when to plant. From what I understand some bulbs need to overwinter, and some do not?

Can I plant allium flower bulbs in the spring for summer flowers? What about garlic cloves?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Allium flower bulb questions

I think in most regions it is optimal to plant in fall for both ornamental allium and garlic. As with most things there is no black and white, clear cut answer. If you put them in the ground now I have a feeling the garlic would root and grow some garlic but not its full potential(fewer and smaller cloves than could of had if planted in fall). Allium are supposed to bloom much earlier than garlic are supposed to finish so I don't believe the allium will have enough time to properly root and get well-established before they are supposed to bloom in late spring/early summer this year. A potential pitfall for both is that they rot in the ground before rooting. This depends greatly on the weather conditions this spring. Viva El Nino!

o

It's best to plant flowering allium bulbs in fall, garlic in spring unless you have mild winters like me and you.

o

You have to ask the supplier of the flowering bulbs and/or read the instructions
on the package. But generally, flowering bulbs, including alliums
need to be planted in fall.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here