Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trimming onion seedlings

Posted by gjcore 5 South Aurora Co. (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 4, 13 at 18:54

I notice a lot of people recommend trimming onion top seedlings. I planted two flats about 3 weeks ago one NY Early and the other Red Bulb. Right now the tallest ones are about 7 inches. Not sure how much taller they will get indoors but it doesn't seem they are bothered by growing into the lamps or falling over a bit.. The bulbs are old school T12 cool whites and also 2 40 watt CFLs.

I've read people's opinions saying that trimming promotes stronger roots and thicker stems but have yet to find a single incident of anyone doing a side by side study.

How necessary is trimming onions? And what is the science behind it?

Thanks,
Greg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trimming onion seedlings

To sum up lots of mentions in various threads, it seems that those of us who start early and must keep onion seedlings under lights for months favor trimming. Those who have lots of natural light to work with, either from a nice climate or a greenhouse, often favor not trimming.

I am among the trimmers, mostly to keep the January-sown plants manageable and upright, and to increase light penetration to new leaves. In the next couple of weeks, when I can put the onions outside at least a little bit, they will stiffen up nicely and I'll stop trimming.

o
RE: Trimming onion seedlings

I too trim. It's still a bit too early for them to go into the ground here in Vermont plus they are absolutely delicious in salads and other foods. I've not run side-by-side studies to determine the size of the bulbs but they sure get leggy if I don't trim them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here