Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
degarden

Leeks: help me get better at it...

degarden
17 years ago

Soaked my seeds for 4 days and planted them. Of 36 seeds, 22 are about 2" tall. 2"x2"x3"/6packs times 2 per cell, in good soil. For the last 4 years, I have been planting leeks haphazardly and making do with what I reap. They are never quite large but I love the tender green part that I use in bouillons, omelettes, tougher greens in soups and the whites go into spaghetti garden sauce. I checked FAQ's -zilch- sooo could someone tell me what to do for the next few weeks- Should I separate each leek & put in a sole container(deeper?)? Right now, they are under fluo lights/11h/day and I would usually let them grow until transplant time either in a ditch or a hole. My soil is good and deep and I just cannot find good info of what to do in the meantime to keep said leeks fattening up. When you transplant, do you plant them deeper? What's this about putting brown paper around the base or add soil to blanch? You dig a hole or trench and plant them, to what depht, I am soooooo confused, HELP. Allium lover, for sure.

Comments (3)