Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
garlic pests - yellow maggot or larvae with brown head or end.

Posted by litotes USDA zone 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 7, 06 at 20:22

Today I noticed that a few of the garlic plants in my garden looked a little sorry for themselves. On closer inspection I noticed a few white marks on the outer leaves of each plant. Each of the white marks had a hole in it. Peering inside the stems I saw a yellow maggot or larvae with a brown end or head happily eating away at the new leaves that the plant was getting ready to expose. I pulled each of the infected plants out - on second thoughts this might have been hasty.

Any ideas what these lovely little guys are and how I might stop them infecting the rest of my crop. I have grown garlic in the UK for many years without problems but I have now lost half of my first Texas garlic crop. Please help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: garlic pests - yellow maggot or larvae with brown head or end

It may be an onion maggot, Delia antiqua. Here is a link.
http://entm29.entm.purdue.edu/acorn/pest.aspx?pest=Onion_Maggot
Diatamaceous earth is sprinkled around the plants to protect them. A screen over the soil, or tilling at the right time can break the cycle. Tobacco may be a viable organic treatment.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here