Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Onions from seeds

Posted by little_acorn 5A (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 15, 14 at 20:44

I would like to know what would be the best keeping onion from seed to grow?

I understand that a onion started from seed will be bigger than a onion from a bulb is this right?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Onions from seeds

Many of the bigger varieties are not available as sets (small bulbs). But it is variety that determines the potential size. Sets are usually restricted to 4-5 varieties. If you don't wish to start seeds, then plants from a relaible grower like Dixondale or Brown's Omaha are the way to go. Strating the plants from seed takes time but is realtively easy. Copra is popular, as is Patterson.If you prefer a red , Red Wing

o

Farmerdill,

How far in advance of planting out do you start your onion seed?

o

A long time! I start my bulb onions indoors in late Jan and Feb to have stocky seedlings to set out in April. You can start scallions and leeks until midsummer, but varieties grown for bulbs need the first half of summer to make a good crop.

o

Concur. approximately 8-9 weeks from seeding to transplant. I am in in winter onion country ( short day onions) so they don't grow as fast.

o

I just direct sowed some. I am not particularly looking for bulbs, realizing that probably it is too late. But we can always harvest them as green onions/scallions . I have some overwintered ones but they are not looking very good, SO FAR.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here