Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
exmar

Accidental garlic storage

Hi Folks,

Last year, due to work and other issues, didn't spend as much time in the garden as usual. The garlic got a bit overrun with weeds. I harvested all that was practical and gave up on finding the rest. Saved the best and largest and planted in October as we always do. The balance was left in an old apple crate in my barn with the intention of moving to the root cellar. Totally forgot about it.

It's now spring and I'm out in the barn working on things and found the garlic. Barn is a "pole barn" concrete floor, metal siding, no insulation, no heat. Garlic is just fine? We've had a very cold winter so it should have frozen or been damaged.

The root cellar keeps the temp above freezing, but is rather moist due to holes drilled though the concrete floor to provide for moisture. Not the best environment for storing aliums.

What I now think I'll do this fall is put garlic and onions in a large Igloo type cooler and leave in the barn as it's certainly dryer than the root cellar. In the spring, as the temp warms up, I'll be moving them to the root cellar.

Just sharing,

Ev

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths