Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
madroneb

Some garlic's BIG, some garlic's small. What gives?

Mark
14 years ago

I've got 2 kinds of garlic planted side by side, one's Northern White, one's Georgian Crystal. I've grown Northern before and had great success, this is the first time for the other type.

Both had good sized bulbs when I planted them in Oct. and both came up fine. The plants, side by side are radically different. The Northern is HUGE and growing fast, the Georgian is still very small and doesn't seem to be putting on much size at all.

Anybody ever experience anything like this? Do some varities kick in their growth later than others?

I'd usually blame soil conditions but halfway through one bed I switched varieties and the difference is night and day. I also have a few other types planted in small quantity and they're all large like the Northern.

Thanks for any help.

-Mark

Comments (7)

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

Still very early. Maybe The Georgia variety needs warmer weather to resume growth.
    Have you fertilized them?. I sprinkle a hand full of 10-10-10 around
    evey 7 to 10 of them and scratch the soil a bit.
    It sounds like your garlics are similar to mine as far as planting time and size.
    I have planted several varieties(soft neck, hard neck, elephant)
    But have not kept a record which is exactly which. I have some that
    their stems are as thick as my finger and some that are little thicker than pencil.
    Of course, I planted them on intervals, not all at the same time.

• wcthomas
    14 years ago

Garlic varieties do vary in size, color, leaf width, and timing. Should turn out fine.

TomNJ

• kristincarol
    14 years ago

Just like people, varieties of garlic have different characteristics. Two of the varieties I grow are up and growing soon after I have planted them, foliage is 16" to 18" tall and they will be ready to harvest sometime in June.

The other varieties I grow are hardneck and they hardly broke the surface of the soil until late December/early January. The foliage on the porcelain type is barely 8" tall, the Korean Red is skimpy looking (my first year with it), but the leaves are about a foot tall.

As different as different people.

• Mark
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the input all. Yesterday I gave it a good weeding and a little cultivation to help kick it in gear. This week is supposed to be dry and warm and I'll see what happens.

I'd hate to see it turn out small after all the work i've put into it.

Thinking ahead to next year, does anyone have a good recommendation for a large, red or purple hardneck?
    -M

• promethean_spark
    14 years ago

Late type garlics are often timid about emerging until they have been vernalized (exposed to cold weather). In cold climate with fall planting, they emerge strong, but in climates with mild winters and fall planting they emerge timidly, expecting to get a dumping of snow that will never come. If you refrigerate your seed cloves for a month next fall before planting, you will get better results.

Still, the small plants should eventually pick up once they decide it really is spring. They'll just be ready later, which in hot summer areas can wilt the plants before they're ready. Oregon should be okay for them though.

• Mark
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the info PS. Maybe i'll try the fridge thing.
    We've been having a long dryish spell with sun and 60 degree days lately. The Georgian crystal has made an amazing turn around and has perked up quite a bit. I wonder if daylight doesn't have something to do with it as well as soil and air temps.

I'm still hoping for any large,red hardneck suggestions.

• bloosquall
    14 years ago

Madroneb,

Please note that the above suggestion about putting the bulbs in the fridge is coming from somebody who lives in a much warmer climate than we do. from everything I've read hardenecks do need to get cold in order to grow well but up north here our winters perfect.

You want a suggestion on what to grow next. Chesnok is always a good producer, Khabar is a very hardy tough plant that gets big early...both purple stripes. German Red and Spanish Roja are awesome Rocamboles and are very common.

Garlic is very light sensitive, you're right about that. I bet TomNJ can give you some good info on how length of daylight effects garlic.

-bloo

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville