Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need Help Companion Planting Garlic

Posted by john216 5 (tank21698@yahoo.com) on
Sun, Mar 23, 14 at 21:46

Question I Have 3 Tomato plants In 5 gallon buckets, is it possible to plant garlic in same container? I am new to gardening well I should say indoor gardening

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need Help Companion Planting Garlic

Welcome and best wishes for the season ahead. You can start by getting those tomatoes closer to the light. They should be almost touching the bulbs, and no more than 4 inches away at the most.

As for garlic, it is grown as a winter annual, planted in the fall, or in early spring in some cold climates. In Zone 5, you can plant the cloves in the ground as soon as it thaws. Garlic cloves take a while to grow roots before the green shoots show, and then the plants need full sun, with no shading from neighboring plants. In terms of companion planting, you can plant spinach or other small leafy greens between rows of garlic or other alliums, but not big plants like tomatoes.

If you want to companion plant alliums, the easiest way to do it is to stick onion sets in the ground.

Good luck!

o

Hey Thank You , to let You Know These Are Staying Indoors, In Those Containers,, I Just Seen Garlic Is And Companion To Tomatoes And Help With pest Control, I Just Didn't Know If They Can Be In Same 5 Gallon Container If That's Too Close Or Not, But I'm In Planning Stage To Build And elevated Indoor Raised Bed 6ft by 2ft

o

If they MUST stay indoors, you MUST increase the light dramatically.

Why can't you plant outdoors?

o

I Live In Apartment Complex That's Why, I know about the lighting part the shoplights I have now are full spectrum daylight bulbs, but next week I'm ordering (2)
CFL's full spectrum daylight 85w equal to 400watt

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here