Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Senshyu or Frosthart Onion

Posted by ihategazingballs 5 SE WI (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 31, 10 at 22:08

I like to grow onions from seed and this one may make it easier than ever for my zone (5). I planted the seeds in my garden last fall (October). Now I have the healthiest looking onions ever at this time of the year. I just have to spread them out because I planted them too close. I had great germination. The only problem is that Gourmet Seeds seems to have discontinued this variety and I do not know were else to get them unless I save seed and I have a feeling I might have to wait until next year for them to set seed. If anyone else has knowledge of where to get seed or experience growing this variety, I would be interested.

Also, if you know of other varieties that do well when started in the fall in a cold climate, I would love to know of them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Senshyu or Frosthart Onion

If you don't mind ordering from Ireland or Britain, Senshyu is commonly grown over there.

Dobbies ships to the US and Canada.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.dobbies.com/Suttons-Onion-Seed-Japanese-Bulb-Seeds-Senshyu-Semi-Globe-Yellow/pid-113346

o

Another option would be to plant some of your onions this fall and
they will flower and seed next year. But those seeds can be sowed the following fall(2011)
And will have onions in 2012. A year lag.

o

Kitasawa seed carries Imai which they claim is an early Senshyu" type. Also look at Territorial seeds after about the middle of the summer. They usually have a couple of varities for winter planing. I don't know how they would do in your area

Robert

o

I'm overwintering Walla Walla sweets and Top Keeper from Territorial. Both were planted in a nursery bed in Sept. and transplanted out in late Oct. at 4-6" spacing. Not quite the same as your direct seeding but still the same amount of time in the ground.
I'm zone 7 so it's a bit warmer than your zone 5, but we did get down to 10 degrees F. for 4 days this winter and the onions didn't have a problem.
Both varieties look great, show no bolting and hopefully will make some nice onions in June.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here