Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Super phosphate on onions?

Posted by heirloomjunkie 5a (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 20, 10 at 22:37

I recently purchased sprouted onion bulbs. Right now they are, in effect, dormant. But they have a full set of roots and I plan on planting them in the garden soon.

I bought super phosphate (0-18-0) and was wondering if this would be good for further root production. If so, do I just sprinkle it in the hole before I plant? Or maybe sidedress??

Thanks, Kim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Super phosphate on onions?

I don't know for sure what it might go to onions, but I do know
that "P" is a bloom booster and seed/fruit producer. In this case, it may cause more of your onions to flower .
From what I know, onions need a balanced fertilizer, having nearly
equal percentages of N-P-K. Of course, it also depend on what you have in your soil already.

o
RE: Super phosphate on onions?

Hmm. Good point. Hadn't thought of that. The last thing I want is a bunch of flowering onion plants. haha.

I have pretty decent soil. I mixed in straw last fall, and have added compost, manure, and UCGs since it's been warmer. I think I'm off to a decent start, so maybe I will skip the phosphate in this case. Thanks.

Kim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here