Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantslayer

My garlic chives are in bad shape

plantslayer
12 years ago

Hello everyone,

I work a 200sqft plot in a community garden. Last summer my wife transplanted a bunch of garlic chives. They have overwintered but most of them do not have leaves. The problem is, I think I may have over-dosed them with blood meal several weeks ago, because I thought that alliums would respond well to lots of nitrogen. Also, someone's dog apparently smelled the blood meal on that spot and seems to have trampled around on the chives (luckily it did not dig them up, unless it did and someone tried to cover it up).

There are just a few green stalks only 1 CM high or so peeking out of the soil, and the leaves/stalks look kind of pale and curly and twisty instead of straight and green. They sort of look like they still can't handle the ~40*F temps we're having.

The reason I think something might be wrong with them is that there is a small clutch of these chives off to the side that are green, straight and hardy-looking. These apparently either did not get feed too much blood meal, and/or did not get mauled by that dog.

So does anyone know what might be the issue with these chives? Is there anything I can do for the time being to help them out? Will they snap out of this funk and start growing soon?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm