Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Golden and Pikant Shallots.

Posted by coho z8/9 N. Calif (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 7, 05 at 1:14

Martin,
14 Golden and 27 Pikants survived the winter and my "pet" gopher. All are doing well. Such a mild winter, I expect an early harvest.
The first Golden in the row has a scape. Have you tried collecting seed from them?
One Pikant hase very tiny leaves. It will be interesting to see if it catches up or remains tiny or is possibly a sport.

Brook, Have you been able to get yours in the ground Yet? If so how are they doing?

Ken

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Golden and Pikant Shallots.

I'm learning that it's iffy to fall-plant shallots here. No matter how much I mulch, still often have 50% loss. That's what the Goldens look like right now. They'll look like they may have survived the winter and then suddenly half of them will just turn to mush. I would guess that there is a very good reason why the seed companies sell them in the spring. The losses are no problem as there are plenty of reserves to fill in.

Not so with the Pikants. I think that only one or two may make it. I had forgotten some in the garden shed and they froze, not a good thing for shallots!

Martin

o
RE: Golden and Pikant Shallots.

Martin,
All 8 cloves of Music are up about 1 1/2" and is the only garlic that survived. Thought the 30 or so shallots planted last fall would poke through after last weeks 75-80 temps but no life showing yet...and I had 5-6" of chopped leaves over them & the garlic. Catawissa's are doing fine. Did get a 30ft. row of red Norland 'taters' in yesterday. Also got 200 ft. of rabbit fencing at Menards today...tired of those critters doing "early harvesting" of my beets, salad greens, etc.

Charlie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here