Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First harvest in spring

Posted by oldroser z5 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 11, 05 at 1:18

and it's the Egyptian or walking onion - the one with top sets but right now it makes great scallions. Dug, trimmed and washed, they're a fine addition to salads or Chinese food. And how pleasant to be able to harvest something when the rest of the garden isn't even planted!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First harvest in spring

My regular chives are really good too. Right now they are getting nice and big. I will be cutting a few bunches for salads and baked potatoes.

o

My garlic chives are so long & thick right now I can cook them like a a vegetable! Isn't the onion family great!!

o

The chives are definitely going to be harvested for the first time this weekend. The garlic chives are only in their first year so they're a bit small but I'm always so happy to see the garlic poking their leaves up every early spring that it gets going on all the other plantings. Now all I have to do is find room for the 300 or so onions that just showed up from Dixondale!

o

My garlic chives have not even emerged yet. They are growing right next to my regular chives. Years ago, before I moved these to the location they are in now, my dad had planted a small blueberry bush which never did very well. It was hard to keep it acidic enough and not afftect the nearby chives. I finally decided to remove the blueberry bush, as well as one right next to my peach tree. Everywhere in my garden and around the edges I see lots of oak leaves. Guess I'll have to go out and use the big vacuum mulcher again. I think that my horseradish has been destroyed too, as I don't see any greens this year.

o

• Posted by coho z8/9 N. Calif (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 12, 05 at 23:18

Heritage Sweet White have been on-line for about 4 weeks. Have well developed topsets now.

o

My walking Onions are just getting going -
but I planted them in mid-winter...since I did't need additonal greens this winter. It's cool, wet & mild here much of the winter - so you know what can happen!

I've been eating from these Garlic Chives since October...and I dig out clumps for others often.
Now they are preparing to bloom,
so I'm near the end of that harvest till fall.

Mine grow in clumps - separated by contrasting rocks - at the base of a large cherry tree. They love it there...the extra foliage growth from being in shade goes to my kitchen all winter. The masses of White Bloom in the shade is also dee-lightful - but that used to come in JUNE. (Few doubts linger about Climate Change if you are in Oregon)

Today I will harvest some short stocky Scapes from Shallots. And the skinny regular garlic wants to be cut again, so the flowers that are forming can show off without being hidden in a tangle. I planted some of last year's Chive seed yesterday - for more of a year-round Chive harvest. Aromatic Allium - I love 'em all. Am new to cooking with Scapes - so I'm happy to experience that.

The Allium forum - (with seed gifts from Martin, and Katzneon) have conspired to transform my back garden!
Thanx all!

o

Walking onions are monsters and would be taking over if allowed. Have served up a few good meals but not near enough to keep them in control.

Only two of the heratige sweet survived the winter so they are being allowed to run rampant and create some new sets.

Potato onions and shallots all growing nicely.

Hardnecks recovering and starting to put on some height. While the softnecks conitnue to grow nicely.

Planted 50 potato seeds yesterday. Shows I am a little behind.

Warthog

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here