Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Purple globe allium

Posted by baunlee 10 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 13, 14 at 1:25

Hello I am new to gardenweb and I have a lot to learn! I have my first flower garden this year in my first home. I always loved and admired the long plants with the purple bulbs on top. Last time I was at my moms she had a plant catalog brecks or something...and it had those! Only they wanted $24.00 a bulb?!? They were called beau regard allium. They also had a giant allium mixture for $10 with 6 bulbs.

I don't have a lot of money to spend on the garden and I've planted most things from seed in my sunroom. Before spending money on these I thought it would be wise to ask the gardenweb pros if it's a good price and if not where else can I get them? Additionally if anyone has extra bulbs please let me know as they will be well loved and adored! Thanks for any advice in advance :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Purple globe allium

I like Brent and Becky's Bulbs. They run two seasons, one for cool-season bulbs planted in fall (alliums are in this group) and warm-season summer bulbs. Late in each season, they have a sale of whatever is left.

That said, you may find these bulbs at a good price in the fall in retail stores.

I would grow these in groups of the same type so you get an orderly stand. Mixing them won't be as pleasing to the eye.

o
RE: Purple globe allium

There are also many kinds of allium. I have mostly drumstick allium (1" across) and Christophii allium (2-3" across). In the fall you can find them sold in bags along with tulips, daffodils, etc. They are closer to 8 for $5. These are usually the purple globe alliums that bloom 2" across. The larger the bloom, the more costly the bulb. I love the giant ones, but I'm like you. I just can't pay that much. I also save seeds from them and trade the seeds. I know it will take several years to get a bloom, but that way I have a chance and other people have a chance, too, without spending every nickel we've got! In my area the allium sells fast in these larger stores. I have to get it quick or I've missed my chance. Maybe in large cities or bigger places they go on sale if there are some left over, but not here.
Heidi

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here