Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaceysgranny

Catawissas

jaceysgranny
16 years ago

I have had a bed of catawissa onions and have not dug them up since I got them 2 years ago. I usually just use them thru the winter and in the summer I dig up one plant bottom and take off what I need and replant the rest. What is the purpose of digging them in the fall. If I really should be doing this when would be the correct time for me to dig?

Thanks,

Nancy

Comments (4)

• pnbrown
    16 years ago

That doesn't sound like catawissa to me, at least not mine. There would be no need to take them out in fall.

• coho
    16 years ago

I like to control mine so they are dug and replanted in rows. I collect the topsets carefully so they don't come up everwhere. I dig the bulbs a while after collecting the topsets. When the tops start to look old. Cure like onions or garlic and the bulbs can be used in stews, Etc. I like Heritage Sweet White even better. Below applies to either.

Our multiplier onion sets should be planted 1 inch
    deep 4 to 6 inches apart. If you wish to increase the
    white section of the plant for harvesting as table
    scallions, the soil should be mounded around them as
    they grow to a depth of about 3 or 4 inches.
    In mid summer, the leaves will begin to die back from
    the tips and start to fall over with top sets on the
    stalks. At this time you should stop watering. Within
    a few weeks, the bulb lets or sets will be ready for
    harvesting. Dig them after the leaves have turned
    yellow and brown and remove the top sets and replant.
    Do not cut the stems at this time. Let them cure in a
    warm dry spot until totally dry and the outer skin of
    the bulb has turned to a papery feeling. At this time,
    the stems can be removed to within one inch of the
    bulb and the onions can now be stored in a cool dry
    place at 34 F or grater for eating or planting.
    (from original planting directions)

• jaceysgranny
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you both for your replies. The man I got them from said he dug his and dried them so I thought maybe I should too. Mine don't spread very far from the 4X4 bed they're in. Do I need to pull off the tops and replant them in the ground or just let them plant themselves? I may go ahead and harvest some of them for drying and replant the top sets.

Nancy

• coho
    16 years ago

Nancy,
    If you let them plant themselves, they will grow in bunches. I prefer to plant my topsets and bottom bulbs in rows so I have some control over them. I do not have a permanent bed. If you leave the bottom bulbs in place, you will soon have a dense clump which I find hard to deal with. One single bottom bulb will divide into 3 to 5 new bottom bulbs. a single top set gives a nice straight green onion/scallion. Why not try it both ways and see which you like best?