Looking for a source for ramp (Allium tricoccum) seeds

atillathepun
18 years ago

Thanks in advance.

Comments (11)

• mucknmire
    18 years ago

http://www.seedman.com/native.htm
    look for Allium tricoccum $3.50 a packet + shipping.

After reading the article in the NYTimes about ramps (do a search on their website), I ordered some ramp seed from the seedman just this week. Haven't received them yet. And I sent in an order for ramp bulbs from the Ramp Farm that garliclady listed above. $12.75 for 3 dozen. Apparently it may take a couple of years before you get a crop from seed.

It was quite a coincidence that I read about ramps and found this allium forum.

• nygardener
    17 years ago

You can also buy the plants from Tripple Brook Farm, an excellent mail-order house in Massachusetts.

• lilybug9876
    16 years ago

I'm so glad I found this post. I'm doing perrenials only for my edible garden

• oldroser
    16 years ago

You will probably find this allium is invasive. It is, after all, a wild flower. I'd exercise caution in putting it in a perennial border unless you are very careful about dead-heading before it sets seed.

• bravedeer
    16 years ago

Please do not insult the ramp. It's not invasive, it's a native plant, and a slow growing one.

• bluespiritartist
    15 years ago

I have moved so many times in the last 10 years and everywhere I move to, I plant wild leeks. They have never been invasive.

• TJG911
    15 years ago

i love ramps but stopped picking them.

2 years ago i was very careful to pick some very close to the road so i did not have to go into TICKville! all i did was reach in and pick some leaves. as i was driving about 5 minutes later i saw a black spot on my hand that was at 12 noon on the steering wheel.... it was moving slowly! i pulled off the road asap and sure enough a minute tick. probably a dog tick nymph as it was too big for a deer tick. freaked out, never go into the brush again, no more ramps. :( i never knew you could buy seed or plants. i'd like to have them overrun my yard.

does anyone know if they'll grow in the open? typically they are found in a forest canopy and are shaded after may 8th here. i'd like to plant some off the lawn that is in full sun all year but away from the litter and brush under the trees where i know they'd prefer to be based upon where you find them in the wild. i can't put any perennial in the garden as i till it.

tom

• bluespiritartist
    15 years ago

I have actually seen for myself leeks by the multitude growing in a person's front yard in full sun. I don't understand it...but I saw it...that was the only time. I do not know if there was a water source close by or not...but absolutly no shade.

• bluespiritartist
    15 years ago

atillathepun, if you are still looking for wild leek seeds, please e-mail me to exchange addresses and if you will send a bubble envelope, I can send you aprox. 50 seeds. They have already been cold treated so you don't have to.