Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garlic

Posted by nikkisgarden 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 29, 08 at 7:29

I platned garlic last week for the first time. Will I have to wate untill next year to harvest it? I was reading that it is a perennial but grows like an annual. So do I harvest it this year or next? And another question is how do I keep some to plant next year? Dose it seed or do I need to keep some bulbs? If the answer is bulbs how do I store them untill next year?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garlic

• Posted by grandad 9a Louisiana/Sunt28 (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 29, 08 at 13:45

Nikki, As for the "when to plant what?" question, you might want to do a web search and obtain a planting guide for your area. I have one for Louisiana which I've been using since the 1970's. It covers pretty much everything. It was published by the Louisiana Cooperative Extension Serivce. You should be able to find something similar. Our guide indicates that I would plant garlic between October 1 and November 30. Surely not the case for your area..

On your other question about keeping bulbs from year-to-year, I did exactly this and planted them last October. My garlic crop failed, most have rotted. On the possiblity is that my bulbs had aquired a bit of contamiation during the holding process, I've decided to purchase fresh stock each year. Not sure if this will solve the problem. In any case, I will find out because I don't have enought for the November planting anyway..

o

Nikki

You would have to harvest it this year. They will probably be smaller bulbs but that's OK.

For next year, plant your garlic late October to harvest the following year. The bulbs will be bigger.

Yes, garlic survives the winter freeze. in fact, it needs a couple good weeks of cold weather in order to trigger it to bulb. You can get the same effect by keeping it in a cold frige for several weeks before planting in spring.

o

Ok thank you for the information. I wasn't sure what to do. This is the first year for garlic...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here