Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wanting green garlic for the fall

Posted by GarlicLady z7 NC (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 8, 05 at 8:42

I want to have green garlic for a garlic festival in October and my fall /winter farmers market after I sell out of the regular. I plan to refrigerate it to get the chill i need.

I am not sure how long it would take to get to the green garlic stage. I thought some of you spring planters may know because all your growth comes at once with out some down time in the winter. I plant in the fall and have some growth in fall and winter before the garlic hits it growth spirt so I can't judge how long it might take.
When should I plant if I want green garlic in October and November?

Thanks
The Garlic Lady

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wanting green garlic for the fall

I think that if you had refrigerated them from January to now, and then plant, they should give you greens in late summer. Another choice for garlic type greens are garlic chives, or garlic grass. As you know these are fairly hardy and peak at flowering stage about mid August. I usually allowed them to drop the seeds where they may and my clumps get bigger over the years. Now, I am removing the seeds and blossoms as I don't want more spreading. Even for that, if the seeds were collected from last summer, they can grow well all summer for this year and can probably be harvested in fall.

o

I know April would be too early, If spring garlic planters are planting in April for a August harvest of mature plants .
If I plant garlic chives I only harvest leaves I want to harvest the whole plant .

o

• Posted by coho z8/9 N. Calif (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 9, 05 at 0:46

I'm thinking lst of July/lst of August. You will have to experiment a little to zero in for next year.

o

The answer may be in certain bulbils. Some varieties have large bulbils which will produce a divided bulb even when planted in the spring. Those with smaller bulbils may make only a round despite fall planting. Smallest of all that I've seen, Music, may be the one to experiment with. If they can be tricked into growing shortly after the parent plant is mature, they'd give you a perfect garlic scallion by October. I got almost no growth from them when planted last fall. Suddenly that area is almost solid green spears just over an inch long. However, some were also spilled into the cold frame last fall. With a few weeks earlier start, some of those are at 4 or 5 inches already.

Martin

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here