Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
droopy onion seedlings

Posted by swaray (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 22, 11 at 9:07

Hi all,

Question: I've had onion seedlings growing (Red Cippolini & Stuttgarter) for almost 2 months now. A lot of them are about 5 inches tall (did a cut about a month ago to encourage bulb growth). They are in small starter trays and tend to dry out quickly (lesson learned, next year doing it differently!). Anyway, I've had to water them everyday due to this quick drying, but now at the base they are starting to yellow up slightly. I know this probably indicates too much water, right? But I'm not sure what to do since they dry out, they need water. So I'm holding back for a few days. In the meantime, the leaves are droopy but they aren't even entirely dried out! I'm worried if they are droopy they aren't getting enough water...or is it something else?

Does anyone know what the problem is, and IF this is a problem. Otherwise, they're growing (albeit slow....). I want to try and get them in the garden in the next week, our crazy Wisconsin spring has prevented me from doing it so far.

Thanks for any feedback,
Jessica

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: droopy onion seedlings

Try transplanting them into fresh potting soil. I have had seedlings develop root rot problems that could only be relieved by transplanting. Then get them outside on mild days as much as you can. Sun cures many ills.

o
RE: droopy onion seedlings

Thanks for replying....they are in a soilless mix now and I've been lightly applying fish emulsion. Will just try and get them in the ground asap.

Jessica

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here