Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hokiehorticulture

'Georgia Sweet' Onions

hokiehorticulture
15 years ago

I bought two bunches of some dried sprouted sets from a local Co-Op about a month ago supposedly called 'Georgia Sweet' just wondering if anyone has ever heard of this variety? They are supposed to be sweeter than vidalias, but who knows. I have a row of those and a row of yellows and they both are growing like weeds, so they must like my soil.

Comments (7)

• anney
    15 years ago

Georgia Sweet Onions are just the common name given to Granex onions, a hybrid.

The Vidalia onion is an exclusive brand name of the Granex onion that is grown in Vidalia, Georgia. It is claimed to be the sweetest Granex grown because of the soil in that part of the state.

I suspect you bought Granex transplants. I don't know why people insist on casually renaming plant varieties, but it happens all the time, and it causes a lot of confusion (particularly in tomato circles).

• hokiehorticulture
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks a bunch anney (hah!) that definitely makes sense. I'm excited to even be growing Granex (vidalias to me)!

• anney
    15 years ago

Ha, yourself! Bunch indeed. :-)

I'm growing another sweet short-day onion, the 1015Y Texas Super Sweet. It is one of the open-pollinated parents of the Granex hybrid. It probably isn't as sweet as a Granex, though the description says that the bigger the onion, the sweeter it is. We'll see!

• farmerdilla
    15 years ago

Yep Anney is right on. Vidalia is a trade name. There almost two dozen cultivars approved for growing under that tradename. Supposedly the soil conditions in middle Georgia render them sweeter than those grown in Texas. Bonnie Pant Farms got thier hands slapped for selling the yellow Granex hybrid as Vidalia. They then resorted to Georgia sweet, but they were forced to display Hybrid Yellow Granex on the packing case.
    Hokie, all of these were developed for winter growing with harvest underway now. They do not develop well in summer. I lived for 28 years in Pulaski County. Grew great onions, but only the long day sweet Spanish types.

• grandad_2003
    15 years ago

Anney, two years ago I grew both Granex 33 and 1015Y. I did not note much difference in sweetness between the two. However, if I were forced to pick which were sweeter I'd have to say on average it was the 1015Y. Another piece of info that somewhat validated my "guess" was that a higher percentage of the 1015Y began to rot earlier than did the Granex 33... most likely related to the sweetness. Having said this, in my experience neither would withstand our outside Louisiana temps and humidity. They both needed refrigeration if they were to be kept for longer than about 4 to 6 weeks.

• hokiehorticulture
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well farmerdilla.....Theyre already in the ground and goin' strong, I'm guessing they need more cool weather? I always heard Cool weather for the tops and warm for the bulbs, must be different for different varieties, guess we'll see soon enough. It is going to make me pretty mad if the Co-Op is selling these transplants in the spring when you're supposed to grow these in the fall. I would have never known. So they don't develop well? I'm guessing that means no significant bulb swelling? Bummer

• farmerdilla
    15 years ago

You will not usually get large bulbs, and you will have a lot of bolting ( sending up seed heads). When you see a seedhead use that plant as a green onion. Bonnie is heavy into marketing, whether the cultivar is appropriate for the area or not. They are selling the White Crystal Wax Bermuda onion as Texas sweets.
    The Georgia Vidalia harvest is just about complete. {{gwi:68436}} {{gwi:361399}}

Sponsored