Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elliosc

Garlic in Houston--can my harvest be salvaged

elliosc
10 years ago

I posted here a while back on one of two garlic varieties I planted, and the consensus was, among other things, that I planted too soon.

I also have some Siberian growing--I'm guessing I planted it too soon as well--that I thought was doing well. But starting about a month ago, they all started dividing, but formed multiple plants instead of a bulb.

I'm wondering what is my best bet for saving this harvest to be able to plant again in the fall? I understand Siberian is a decent variety to grow here, but I think the plants were too far along (one was 1" diameter a month ago, and it divided first) due to the amount of time it had to grow.

I read that it's generally not a good idea to try to divide plants (although a few people said it works no problem). So I dug up three of the plants, divided and replanted them, but have left the other 20+ plants alone.

What should I do to to give myself the greatest chance of having decent seed for next year as well as having some to eat? (seed cloves being the priority)

Comments (7)

• elliosc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Note--I'm not a novice garlic grower, but I am new to Houston. Garlic farther north was far less complicated!

This is especially disappointing, since I thought the plants were doing well....

• Hammerga
    10 years ago

I say if your garlic is alive now, you will have garlic to plant this fall.or whenever you plant in Houston. I have dug plants and divided them this winter. they were small garlic to start with and at best I hope for seed for the fall planting from them. I did it just to see how well they would do. They seem to have taken the transplant well and doing ok. I doubt they get very large this season.

• elliosc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OK, thanks for the advice. I guess I'll divide a few more and hope for the best!

• elliosc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Not sure if anyone is interested, but I've been harvesting the garlic, and both the garlic I divided as well as the garlic that I did not divide has given me edible cloves. Many of the cloves are pretty large.

So I guess I have one more question: Which of the cloves will keep longest and be best suited to saving for next year's planting?

Some of the ones I divided are just large single cloves. Some are bulbs with 2-3 decent size cloves. The ones I did not divide look like regular bulbs, except the cloves have all separated (but are attached all to one set of roots).

• kristincarol
    10 years ago

The ones that started to grow again ie, divided, will not store well in my experience. The large single cloves store well as would any that did not divide--normal heads--and have a couple layers of wrapper intact.

Sounds like you will have a much better year next year and perhaps will find someone from Houston to compare notes with.

• elliosc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That's kind of what I was thinking. Does it matter how much more they grew? For instance, some of them actually put on their own scape.

I guess I'll have to sort these based on how they grew and hope for the best! I think the particular variety is a good one, I just need to make sure I don't plant it too early next time.

Many thanks!

• kate323
    10 years ago

Hello I also am in houston and just moved back. I have 5 different kinds of garlic I will be planting and hope to compare not this summer if you would like to.

Sponsored
Koura Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Virginia's Top Choice for Reliable General Contractors