Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grow_darnit

onions about to get tilled - can they be saved?

grow_darnit
14 years ago

Hi! Every year I take a plot at the community garden. The plots get tilled by the city every spring, about mid-April. Yesterday I drove by and noticed many green onion and garlic tops - whatever was left in the ground is sprouting now. I had to dig some up and take them home! The whole area will be tilled in a week or two, so they all will be lost. Now my questions: what should I do to keep them happy out of the ground for a couple of weeks? So far I just wrapped the roots in wet newspaper and put them all in a 4" deep plastic tub (the tub has a hole in the bottom) some of the roots have nice clumps of dirt on them. Should I keep them in the garage or put them out somewhere in the shade? Should I trim the roots before I put them in the ground (assuming they survive)? Any special directions for garlic? Also, some of the plants had nice and thick stems, 3-4 together, obviously growing from one bulb, others were a row of wispy thin things. Were those wisps seeds that didn't germinate last year, or are they non-bunching onions? Any help would be appreciated!

Grow

Comments (3)

Sponsored