Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
planting last year's onions?

Posted by sandy0225 z5 Indiana (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 5, 05 at 10:26

I have some onions left over from last year which are sprouting now. I need to plant some onions, too. Can I just divide the sprouts up and plant them singly and get decent onions from the divisions? Or will they just bloom right away? Has anyone done this and what was the outcome? They were onions from sets (75%), and onions from seed (25%).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: planting last year's onions?

Sets or seeds, doesn't matter. Both will go to seed very quickly. If you can live with some early large scallions, go ahead and plant them. They are great for that. I used to do that all the time before I accumulated such an abundance of perennial multipliers. However, I could never convince them to make another large bulb!

Martin

o

• Posted by coho z8/9 N. Calif (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 8, 05 at 0:46

If you want to raise some seed, plant only one kind, preferably not a hybrid. Plant two kinds and you will get a cross. Of course, you never know what you will get then.

o

I have planted them in the past, I gave them their own bed and let them go to seed. I now get a continuous crop of green onion. I grow for farmers market so have source to get rid of them. Patty

o

I went ahead and planted them, guess what? blooms already forming! You were right. I liked Patty's idea about the perpetual onion bed though, I'm going to do that with them. Thanks for all the help...
Sandy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here