Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My gosh! Garlic scapes already!

Posted by glane1219 northern OK. (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 21, 06 at 10:33

I went out in the garden this morning and I already have garlic scapes 4 inches long on my kitab garlic. Is this variety known for being early or is it from the mild winter temps and 90 degree temps lately?
This is the first year for this variety and my Maitake garlic was my earliest garlic to form scapes the last 2 years.
95% Of my 39 varieties of garlic are doing great this year and some are reaching to about 2 ft tall already but looks like i lost about 1/3 of my 9 varities of shallots over the winter.
Also my heritage and egytpian onions are already sending up the bulblet stalks.
Looks like an early year for some crops for me this year.
Gary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My gosh! Garlic scapes already!

I have noticed things starting early this year as well. My hostas are peeking above the ground already and I don't typically see them until mid may. I don't have garlic scapes yet, but the greens are in the 10-12" range already.

So far this year is looking pretty good, off to a good start anyway.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here