Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
2nd time for onions - they're forming seed pods!

Posted by marti8a (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 23, 11 at 11:07

I bought sets and planted in February (in Texas) and they have started sending up seed pods. They're not supposed to do that are they? We've had really strange weather this spring, with a lot of hot days already. What will this do to the onions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 2nd time for onions - they're forming seed pods!

If you actually planted sets ( the small dry bulbs)They tend to bolt rapidly. In the south used mostly as green onions. Plants in zone 8, also tend to bolt when planted in late winter or spring but not to the extent of sets. Short day onions winter grown are our main crop. Its harvest time.

o

The master gardener , Farmerdill, spoke.
The bottomline is that you cannot do anything about it.
Cutting the flower budd/stem may haelp a bit. Even then you are not going to get decent onions. My short experience tells me that they will rot soon. So, you should used them within a couple of months from harvest.

o

Thank you both. If it's not raining in the morning, I'll cut off the flower stem and see if they are ready to dig. I read one Q & A that said to leave them in the ground if they start to flower and they will multiply next year. True or false?

o

False, because in your climate they will rot. Next year, use seedlings instead of sets and you will get a much nicer crop.
You also can diversify into other onions, like multipliers, shallots and nest onions, which do well when handled as perpetual perennials.

o

Where do you get seedlings? All I've ever seen in stores are called sets - small bulb with short, green tops.

o

MARTI Google dixondale farms. They are in Texas.GOOD LUCK TO YA!!! YOPPER

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here