Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stomping down tall onion stalks

Posted by chuckhammond1944 mid atlantic (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 4, 07 at 11:40

Probably and old wives tale but I remember my old neighbor always stomping down "not too hard" on onion stalks when they were about 12 to 15 inches tall. He said it stopped them from spending too much energy on the stalk and more on the onion. Should I do this or was he not only old but crazy?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stomping down tall onion stalks

It's an old wives tale!!! Let them fall over on their own and you will get bigger bulbs. [ Watch what you say about OLD PEOPLE on this forum you are out numbered ] L.O.L
YOPPER

o

If it's large onions you grow, we always pulled the dirt away from the top of them when they got a pretty good size to get them larger. This was my dad's instructions so I can't promise it worked but we did raise some large onions.

Nancy

o

Thanks and I'm older (62) also and I will be respectful of my elders.

I won't be stomping anymore

o

They fall over on their own?? I'm a newbie and planted some onion sets and was wondering what animal (neighbor's cat?) had gotten into my garden and mashed some of them down... So I guess I won't consider them ruined after all!

o

Mine are falling over as well, at first I thought some animal had laid down in the onion bed but each day this week more and more were on the ground. My question is now what? Do I pull them now or wait til they brown?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here