Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do you germinate bunching onions outside in the ground

Posted by susanzone5 z5NY (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 3, 10 at 12:02

I've searched for half hour and can't find the answer to why the bunching onion seeds I planted in March haven't sprouted yet. It's been very warm (40-75) the last few weeks and everything else seems to be germinating OK.

Is there some secret to germinating this plant outside?
Thanks for any insight. I'm thinking the seed isn't good, but it's from a reputable company I always use. They didn't have any answer for me, but then it was a kid on the phone.
?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do you germinate bunching onions outside in the ground

I'm in the same zone as you, but further south (SW PA). I put bunching onion seeds out March 22nd and only yesterday noticed the first sprouts - and only two at that. I was starting to wonder if there was a problem as other onion seeds had already sprouted for me.

Perhaps bunching onion seeds take a few extra days to germinate, but mine are starting now.

o

Thanks! I replanted the seeds a couple days ago and noticed the previous ones were starting to germinate under the soil, like yours. Well now I really have to thin!

I'm calling the company to tell them to change the info on the packet which says to sow in cold soil.

o

It is not very difficult. But the colder it is, the longer it will take.
Also, left in cold ground , germination rate will be low.
IMO, the best time to direct sow any allium seeds, is when your lows are in low 40s or higher.
Another thing is to keep them moist. That means in dry sunny days you need to lightly water them everyday.
If you happen to get a lot of rain, showers, that will be best.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here