Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
littlelizzy123

Onion and Leek Sets not Taking Off

littlelizzy123
10 years ago

Hello all!

I transplanted some onion and leek sets I got at my local nursery about 3 weeks ago. They are pencil sized, and they don't look dead, but they are not growing either. Our nights have been cold, around 40 degrees, sometimes dipping into the 30s, but the days have been fairly warm, 50s and 60s. I have been watering them every other- every 3rd day, as we have not gotten any precip lately. Are they ok? Do I just need to be more patient?

Comments (7)

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Well, first the have to grow roots, as they say "Grab the Soil". Once the roots are established, growth should follow. AND in cool spring (30 to 50 ?)it can take a while. Just be patient.
    It is very HARD to kill alliums.

• littlelizzy123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks! That is reassuring! I will just have to learn some patience... :)

• ZachS. z5 Platteville, Colorado
    10 years ago

Hey, I'm here in CO too, the Metro area, and I have had the same "problem" with mine. It's just simply too cold for them to really get going. They aren't dead, just taking their time. Here on the SW side of Denver, we've had plenty of nights into 20's the past few weeks, this week was really our first of nice weather and night temps that aren't frigid. It was also the first week I really started noticing my onions getting some growth on them. (Of course, that's all going to change with this foot of snow were supposed to get. >:(

• nugrdnnut
    10 years ago

I live in North-Central washington. I planted 300 onions on 3/21 and I was wondering the same thing... no real movement x 2 & 1/2 weeks. The good report is that as I looked at them today, they are finally starting to grow with new blades starting to show!

• seysonn
    10 years ago

There seems to be some misconception about the "COOL CROPS". They are called CC, because they can tolerate cold and even freezing temperatures BUT it does not mean that they can grow in the cold(soil and air). My spinach has been sown 6 weeks ago and have emerged 3 weeks ago but still very tiny. So are the snap peas. But my shallots are doing great.

So actually, alliums are very cold friendly crops. But when you plant some partially dried out seedlings, it will take some time for them to develop fresh roots.

• ZachS. z5 Platteville, Colorado
    10 years ago

Very true Seysonn, and a point I think is often overlooked. While they may grow some in cold weather, it won't be half of what you will see in warmer temperatures. I planted my onions way too early because I got bored this winter and started them way too early. It's not something that ever works out, but, I still do it from time to time just because I'm not very bright.

On the other hand, I only planted about 1/2 of my seedlings because I WAS bright enough to know that ones I planted in mid-March may not make it. I transplanted the reserves into a small storage tub and keep them in the garage overnight. They are growing like gangbusters and look awesome. Wish I would have done that for the others.

• plantslayer
    10 years ago

Hello everyone, I was about to start my own thread about this. I am in Seattle, and quite some time ago I started some leek seedlings indoors from seed. They came out and became very leggy, so I put them outside. They are planted two plants per small cell in a seed tray, and are more or less unprotected outside (they get sunlight but it does not rain on them).

So right now they are only about the thickness of a tootpick at best. I am guessing it's the weather again. The seedlings are not getting very big, but they seem to be shedding old leaves and re-growing them. Will they get bigger when the weather picks up? And, at what point should I just transplant these things?