Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need Onion help

Posted by usmcgrunt 6 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 19, 12 at 12:56

I'm an absolute new gardener and went a little crazy this year with some various vegetables. I planted Burpee Golden Grande seeds in flats and have them under light 14-16 hours a day. I have hardened them off for the last week and now time to go into the ground.

My questions are: Are these the sets everyone talks about? How do I plant these?

Should I pull every individual green grass like piece apart and bury it 3 inches in my garden? I'm lost and looking for all the valuable information I can get. I'll try to attach my pictures through the link. Thanks!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Onion photo link

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need Onion help

If you planted from seed what you now have are onion plants/seedlings. Onion sets are small onions that get planted directly in the garden, not started under lights.

Do not "pull" them. Gently separate them and plant each individual plant in your garden. I find that rinsing the roots with water will remove some of the soil and make separating the roots easier.

o

Thank you very much for that information. I am going to try and separate them tomorrow.

o

Good job so far, usmcgrunt! I have been starting onion seeds in "little sliced sandwich meat" tubs you get at the grocery. I put about 50 to 75 seeds in each tub. Duct tape the tub to block light from roots. Fertilize with house plant fertilizer till ready to plant out. Soak entire tub clump in water while separating and planting (per elffriend).

Onions are "cool weather crops" and easily handle a frost. So they can be planted fairly early in the season. With such a mild winter this year, mine have already been in the ground 6 weeks. HooHaa!!!

Once they have been in the ground a few weeks, start to fertilize them periodically. "They say..." At harvest time onion bulb size is related to how many leaves there are. Heavy leaf growth means use high nitrogen fertilizer. (Just done put a lot of nitrogen around crops you want to flower like peppers and tomatoes.) If that is a sweet onion, try to use low sulphur fertilizer. I am trying bloodmeal this year.

Let us know how things turn out (planting and harvest)!

o

Plant the end of the plant (not counting the roots) 1" deep, not 3". You want them just deep enough to hold the plants firmly upright. If too deep, the onions will be smaller.

TomNJ

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here