Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
more newbie on garlic

Posted by Chubasco 6a/AZ (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 9, 05 at 13:34

I planted some garlic cloves ( calif. white) last fall. They have continued to grow through the freezing temps of winter. They were well mulched with straw. Now the stems are from 1/2 to 1" in diameter and 12" to 18" tall, although they do not stand that tall. Longest leaves are bent over. In digging down carefully the bulbs only seem to be about 1" in diameter. Not as large as I would have thought. Is this normal, do I just wait? Temps are still freezing early AM. and now is our spring windy season. Any advise, Please
Brent

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: more newbie on garlic

Mine are in the same condition as yours. I remember reading that I'll need to wait until June or when the lower stem turns brown. I need advise on this too.

o
RE: more newbie on garlic

• Posted by coho z8/9 N. Calif (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 10, 05 at 12:55

When leaves start to turn brown, stop watering. When 40 to 50 % of leaves are brown, harvest. If you leave in ground too long, the wrappers degrade and will not store as well.
Don't forget to cure them. Hang in a dry airy place for about two weeks. cut top off about 1 inch above bulb and twist or cut off roots.
Suggest you get some good garlic for next year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here