Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hens Love Roosters, Geese Love Ganders, Slugs Love Garlic?!

Posted by soren Zone 9 Sun 17 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 1, 05 at 13:36

You know for the most part slugs have pretty much always left my alliums alone. But I guess this year theyve developed a taste for my garlic!

I know once the weather warms up and we dry out a bit the slugs will settle down. But after hand-picking slugs off close to 200 plants I was getting a little whippy. Started wondering if slugs were edible, snails without shells right? Started thinking green garlic infused escargot might be tasty. Am I crazy? Anyone else have slug problems?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hens Love Roosters, Geese Love Ganders, Slugs Love Garlic?!

I wonder if you drop some copper dust on the soil, whether it will block the slugs.

o

Or how about a bit of dry sawdust around them..i do that with lettuce and they can't get a grip on it to travel..otherwise..some of those slug and snail pellets might do the job

o

Slugs were crawling all over my elephant garlics a couple weeks ago. I couldn't see any actual damage, though. I first put some DE around them, and then some iron phosphate.

I'll probably have to put more out after these incredible storms.

o

• Posted by soren Zone 9 Sun 17 (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 13, 05 at 11:52

I played bartender and served beer. Seems to have knocked them down a bit.

o

try spreading some dry sand around your plants it really seems to keep them away.

o

On the hosta forum, some have used ammonia & water as a spray to deter slugs.

o

This is the best remedy for slugs that I've found. Cut up raw potatos and place them near your plants, and at night collect the slugs who LOVE them and feed them to your bull frog. This works 100% for me! :) Arum

o

Surefire rememedy for slugs is Sluggo. Sprinkle it on the row and slugs vanish overnight. Not poisonous to people, pets, birds, etc - just slugs. Also sold under the name of Escargo.

o

and under "iron phosphate"... it's working very well for me so far! YAY!!!!!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here