Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dividing onion starts

Posted by FlowerFan86 z5/6 WA (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 1, 05 at 13:43

Hello!

Was in Walmart today and they just got in some onion starts.
They were 4/$1. They were growing in bunches like chives. I have never planted onions before and thought I would put some in the garden this year. Have some new raised beds that I think they would love.

I asked the garden manager working in there if they could be separated out and planted. She said no it was all one plant. But when I took one out of the pack and separated the roots they were all indivual.

My question is can you separate them out and plant or leave them like she said? ( I have found that she is not that knowledgeable, or friendly)
From what I have been reading on this forum I would also cut them back to three or four inches when I plant them out as well.

Sorry if this has been asked before. I know it is a basic question, I did a search and could not find an answer.
Thank you for the help!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dividing onion starts

oh yes, you can and should divide them. the hazards of buying at walmart!! :)

Kristen

o

Thank you Kristen for the reply!

I know, I know, Walmart is not the best when it comes to buying plants. I live in a small town and Walmart is about all we have. Unless you are looking for Pizza or Mexican food!

I thought you would separate them. It is when someone looks at you as if your stupid and tells you it is one plant. You start to question yourself.

Thank you!

o

Flower Fan,

I plant mine seperately but people do plant them in bunches of up to four and the onions push away from each other. Space the bunches farther apart and it leaves you more room to cultivate, although I prefer to mulch my onions. Next year try growing your own from seed or buy the plants in bulk. Four for a buck is a little steep. Growing really good onions isn't difficult but you may not do it your first year. Good luck and e-mail me with any questions.

David

o

David
Thank you for the help.
I tried to email you but there was not a place to do that on your member page.
My question is how deep do you plant them?
I planted them so just some of the white was above the ground. Is that right?
Sorry for the basic questions, I just want to make sure that I do this right.
Thank you again!!

o

• Posted by coho z8/9 N. Calif (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 8, 05 at 0:17

About an inch. When they bulb, most of the bulb will be above ground.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here