Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fall garlic

Posted by CaraRose 5b (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 23, 13 at 13:52

I'm trying to get a sense of about when garlic planted in the fall gets harvested. If it's 90-150 days to maturity, do the winter months count for that or will the growth be slower once things freeze over?

If I plant some now for spring, harvest in fall, replant over winter?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fall garlic

I usually harvest mine in July.

o

Where do you get that DTM? My garlic matures any time from late May to mid July, depending on the variety, so I guess 90-150 days from resumption of spring growth (about the end of February around here) could be about right.

Some varieties started growing in November, while others basically sat still until February, though all were planted about the same time. Bulb formation is also affected by day length, so any DTM is going to be subject to many variables it seems to me.

o

Cara, like daffodils and tulips, garlic is tied to the rhythms of the changing seasons. In the dry Mediterranean regions from which it came, its survival was insured by going dormant from midsummer to late fall, the dry season. Soil moisture cycles, temperature changes, and day length combine to trigger various phases of the garlic life cycle. You can't therefore change its planting dates and expect success. Plant in fall or early spring, because that's how garlic knows how to grow.

o

Burpee lists DTM for most varieties as 90-150. Gurneys lists it as 120+.

I'm not thinking about changing the cycle, just trying to figure out how to plan the garden. I was trying to figure out if I could cycle continually plantings (plant spring, harvest in fall, replant for fall, harvest spring, replant for spring), but it sounds like the fall planting would mature too late to replant for spring.

o

I think the best you could do is extend the season a little with overlapping plantings. One in the fall for early summer harvest, the other in the spring for late summer harvest. You might want to follow garlic with fall greens and/or brassicas. In my zone I had time to grow a crop of cukes after the garlic came out.

o

Garlic stores so well that one planting can provide a year's supply. Also, when garlic matures, it becomes dormant for 3-6 months and will not sprout. You can plant different types (early and late) to split up the harvest, but because the curing process requires attention, harvestiing the crop all at once has its advantages.

o

Planatus is right. I plant once and have garlic til the next crop, with some left over. And curing is important and being careful not to bruise also. I think temperature seems to trigger when it is time to harvest. as it seems to vary from year to year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here