Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jwestbury_gw

What's going on with my Chinese Pink?

jwestbury
12 years ago

Images in the link below.

Chinese Pink is the top image, Music and German Red are in the other one.

The Chinese Pink is supposed to be much earlier, of course, so I'd expect the leaves to be dying off earlier. However, while it grew earlier, it seems to have quit growing at some point, and the leaves began to brown quite early on. The other two garlics have now about matched the Chinese Pink in size. I pulled up one of the Chinese to see what was going on underneath, and didn't see much of anything. Pulling out a Music plant showed a swelled clove like I'd expect at this point.

Both of these types of garlic are in identical soil -- brought in a load of topsoil last year, and both beds have been fertilized identically over the past year.

Things I can rule out: Under-watering, too much sun.

Coldest it's been in recent months is maybe a few degrees below 25. I guess it's possible it got hurt by the cold, but I'd expect the other garlic, which was already 2-3" tall, to show some signs of damage, too.

So what's going on with the Chinese Pink?

Here is a link that might be useful: Garlic pictures

Comments (7)

• jolj
    12 years ago

You have30-60 days till harvest.
    I am growing garlic for the first time too.
    What is you bed made up of?
    Is this were you planted garlic in last 2 years?

• jwestbury
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Harvest for later varieties, in my area, is mid to late July. Last year, I harvested my two hard-neck varieties on July 29, and had maybe 5% which had grown a bit too large and burst, but otherwise a very good harvest.

But, yes, Chinese Pink should be harvested within the next two months.

The beds are a very loose sandy loam. They were well-tilled ahead of time. No garlic here last year -- there were beans where the Music and German Red were last year, and peppers and eggplants where the Chinese Pink is.

My worry is primarily that the garlic seems to be dying down a bit well in advance of harvest, without ever reaching the size on top that I've experienced with other, later garlics. Is this simply expected for earlier garlic?

• kristincarol
    12 years ago

The earliest of the varieties I grow, Early Italian Purple, is also looking a bit peeked when compared to the monstrous and very healthy hardnecks next to them. It is to be expected, however, as they start to grow the minute they are planted in Fall and continue to grow all Winter throughout the worst of our weather. The purples are generally taken the first or second week of June.

Planted three new-to-me varieties this year which are supposed to be early as well, but they are still growing and putting out leaves. I expect that these won't be as early as the purple, but one can hope.

• Mark
    12 years ago

I have some very early garlics in the ground and none finish before mid June here outside Portland. I seriously doubt your Chinese pink will be done before then.
    I think what you're seeing is a nutrient deficiency, mostly (but not limited to) nitrogen.
    High rainfalls will flush vital nutrients from the topsoil to where shallow rooted plants like garlic can't access. Maybe Chinese pink has a smaller root system than the other varieties you're growing.

I suggest mulching them all with some good manure based compost and watch then all grow like crazy when it starts to warm up.

• planatus
    12 years ago

I can understand your concern. Cold injury can look like that, but none of my garlics (including little Korean Red) have complained about the hot/cold spring yet.

White rot can be carried on seed, and premature stunting is a primary symptom. I'd keep pulling sample plants to look for evidence of root rot problems.

Here is a link that might be useful: white rot of alliums

• Jon_dear
    12 years ago

difference in varieties but....
    Bean add nitrogen to the soil.
    Peppers and eggplant will drain nitrogen.
    That may be having an effect as well.

• jwestbury
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I haven't seen any indication of whiterot, so I don't think that's the issue.

Nitrogen deficiency maybe makes sense, though both beds had a fairly decent amount of fertilizer made from Steve Solomon's recipe, which comes out to around 5-5-1. I'll try putting down some extra nitrogen, and see what happens.

I'm not hopeful, but I've got about fifty heads of garlic aside from the Chinese pink, so I'll be doing all right even if the Chinese pink doesn't do much.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths