Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When is garlic ready in Texas?

Posted by neohippie 8b (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 26, 10 at 14:06

I don't mean when as in "when most of the leaves have died" which is all I've been able to find. I mean when as in what month (at least a ballpark estimate). I live in the Austin area.

I've never grown garlic before, and I'm getting impatient wondering when I'll finally be able to enjoy the fruits of my labor.

I was impatient enough today that I pulled up one plant to see how far along it was, and now I really regret it because the bulb was still really small. So I basically wasted that plant. Darn. So I guess garlic harvest time is not anytime soon like I had hoped. :-(

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When is garlic ready in Texas?

You could have used and enjoyrd the one that you pulled out. Young garlics are sold
at premium price at the stores.
So you know that good indication of garlic harvest is when most of lesve (excep about 3 of them)_ have browned and died.
But when will that happen, depends on various facrors.
But, as a ball park figure in your zone (8), that should happen sometime in later half of may.
So you have to wait another 3 weeks (SORRY!)

But the next time if you want to check them out, just PATIENTLY(!) dig aroung a garlic plant until you get to the bulb.
This is not going to hurt them, because the roots are under the bulbs.
If not ready, fill it partially back. Actually, onions, garlics... bulbs will grow better when exposed.

o

Late May to late June depending on the variety

o

Hi neohippie,

I live near Austin. My garlic still have a good amount of green on them so I am thinking they are still growing and it maybe late June. we have had some nice cool weather down here and from what I understand Garlic does like cool weather so we may have a while to wait :)

o

Well, I checked them again but this time I was more careful and instead of just pulling a whole plant up, I carefully dug away some of the soil to take a peek at some of them.

It looks like the softnecks are just starting to swell up, while the hardnecks still look like leeks down there. The leaves are about 1/4 dead.

*sigh* I'll have to be patient.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here