Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kristincarol

Early Italian Purple

kristincarol
13 years ago

I could hardly believe my eyes when I noticed my early garlic was starting to scape. Don't recall that it happens this soon in the year, but "recalling" is a cloudy subject with me at times.

We had what I consider a mild Winter this year with plenty of rain. We are just a smidgeon over average for the year now. I remembered to fertilize at the right times so perhaps it is just a collision of good husbandry with ideal conditions for the variety. It would be great to harvest the first week of June.

What's going on in other people's garlic patch?

Comments (10)

• Mark
    13 years ago

Here near Portland OR our garlic is still putting on size and not showing any scapes yet. Varieties are Northern white, Georgian crystal and asian tempest.

• promethean_spark
    13 years ago

I have scapes on most of my garlics (that produce scapes - artichokes don't). Also elephant garlic has scapes, some of my older leeks and seed onions too. Evergreen white bunching scallions have nearly ripe seed pods already.

• kristincarol
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hardnecks here are way behind the purples. Korean Red is a bit ahead of the German White, but still a good way to go on those.

It hasn't stopped raining here. Generally, we are done by the end of April or earlier. Had to go out and harvest the first two beds of purple from soaking wet soil. It was way beyond time to harvest, unfortunately, and a fair number were sprouting and had split covers. Still have 2/3 of this variety to take today before the next set of showers materialize (here's hoping they don't.)

Increasing the spacing and consistent feeding made for some pretty big bulbs, but I will not discount Mother Nature's contribution of abundant rainfall to my success.

• kristincarol
    Original Author
    13 years ago

BUMP

• wcthomas
    13 years ago

I started snapping scapes on May 30, a good week earlier than last year (which was cool and wet). Took most of them yesterday and filled three bags for the refrigerator - only about 80 left. Also started scheduling a series of barbecues for June - my friends wait anxiously for scape season.

The garlic plants are still all green and I expect to start harvest in another 3-4 weeks.

TomNJ

• kristincarol
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here is a link to some photos of this year's crop:
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=188944&id=656347920&l=3a19211668

• wcthomas
    13 years ago

Very nice! Large, consistent, and oh so clean - do you wash them?

TomNJ

• kristincarol
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you, I was pleased with what I got this year, but, of course, Mother Nature had more to do with it than I did.

And yes, I did start to wash them after I got all the Italian Purple in and noticed how dirty the roots were because I had to harvest when the soil was still soaking wet.

The Late Italian, Korean Red and German variety were all washed and they are so much prettier and also a lot less mess in the house.

• franktank232
    13 years ago

Holy smokes Kris that is a lot of garlic! Do you sell or do you actually use that much?

• kristincarol
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I sell between 20 and 30 lbs. Grew more this year than last, got a better yield and will probably have more than last year to sell. Give a lot away to friends, take a lot to work and may make a donation to our food bank which has a free farmers' market once a month all summer for anyone who needs help.