Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are chives well behaved in an herb bed?

Posted by kmickleson z9 CA (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 4, 14 at 15:17

I'm getting my first raised bed--for herbs. Bought a couple of 'Allium - Chives' plants at Home Depot and am trying to figure out if I should put them in their own pot because they'll take over the planting box.

Also, if there are tips to keep them from going to seed quickly, I'd appreciate them. Or, (after reading another chive thread) maybe I leave them be and they'll flower. But if they flower, do they make fewer chives to use?

Thanks,
Karen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are chives well behaved in an herb bed?

They shouldn't spread too much - unless you allow them to seed. Clip off the flower buds when they first appear, or immediately after the flowers begin to fade... and throw them outside of your garden to be on the safe side.

o

Fully opened flowers make the most beautiful bright pink vinegar. I would not throw them out.

You can also use them in salads, they add a nice onion-y flavor.

In my experience, it is not difficult to keep them from spreading. They do form a pretty big clump if left to their own devices, but it has never ever been a problem for me. (unlike the "wild onions" which grow here and are impossible to get rid of, I have not made this mistake, but know of other who have.)

o

I've had chives in the same clay pot for ten years. We make good use of them during the growing season. (So delicious with potato salad or scrambled eggs!) Every year they come back but don't seem to spread all that much: Very compact. Mine get a mix of sun and shade, so that may be a factor. Since I cut them regularly, I rarely see flowers.

still_kris: I remember the "wild onions" from my childhood in NJ. We kids would chew on them and then breathe onion breath on each other. :D

o

Thanks for responding, everyone. I was worried because in some earlier incarnation of my garden, I think I had something called garlic chives or, maybe it was those onions. They were really hard to get rid of.

I guess the trick is harvesting the blooms for enjoyment without cutting off the usable surrounding chives.

o

Garlic chives are different from regular chives and can be really invasive. Regular chives are much tamer and easier to control. The real key to either of them is not to let the flowers mature enough to set seed then they both tend to grow tight clumps.

o

Mine have always behaved themselves. :)

o

My garlic chives do not behave themselves because I always let them bloom and self-seed so now I have garlic chive seedlings in my brick walkway. They don't clump as quickly as chives do.

I also don't cook with them as much as I go regular chives.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here